A Change of Seasons is fourth EP by Dream Theater, and the first Dream Theater release featuring Derek Sherinian on keyboards. It comprises the 23-minute title track and a collection of bonus live covers performed at a fan club concert at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London.
The lyrics were written by Mike Portnoy about the death of his mother, Andrea Held Leone, who died in a tragic plane crash in November 1984, after the pilot suffered a heart attack.
- An edited version of the title track was used in a downhill skiing feature during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.
- Note that this is considered an EP only in name—at 57:31, it is much longer than a standard EP, or, indeed, many LPs. In fact, it is longer than Dream Theater's first two albums. Mike Portnoy has said "It was important for us and the label for it not to be perceived as the latest studio record. That's why we tagged it an EP."
- The title track includes samples from the film "Dead Poets Society", and from the Robert Herrick poem, "To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time".
- Mike Portnoy - Drums
- John Petrucci - Guitar
- John Myung - Bass
- James LaBrie - Vocals
- Derek Sherinian - Keyboards
- David Prater - Producer
1. A Change of Seasons (Portnoy) 23:09
- I. The Crimson Sunrise 3:50
- II. Innocence 3:04
- III. Carpe Diem 3:14
- IV. The Darkest of Winters 2:53
- V. Another World 3:58
- VI. The Inevitable Summer 3:13
- VII. The Crimson Sunset 2:54
2. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Bernie Taupin/Elton John) 10:49
3. Perfect Strangers (Ian Gillan/Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover) 5:33
4. The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains the Same (Robert Plant/Jimmy Page) 7:29
- The Rover
- Achilles Last Stand
- The Song Remains the Same
5. The Big Medley (Pink Floyd, Journey, Kansas, Queen, The Dixie Dregs, Genesis) 10:33
- In the Flesh? (Roger Waters) 2:25
- Carry on Wayward Son (Kerry Livgren) 2:10
- Bohemian Rapsody (Freddie Mercury) 1:25
- Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Steve Perry) 2:07
- Cruise Control (Steve Morse) 1:03
- Turn it on Again (Mike Rutherford/Rutherford, Tony Banks, Phil Collins) 1:23
Lyrics (title track)Edit
I. The Crimson Sunrise (Instrumental) II. Innocence I remember a time My frail, virgin mind watched the crimson sunrise Imagined what it might find Life was filled with wonder I felt the warm wind blow I must explore the boundaries Transcend the depth of winter's snow Innocence caressing me I never felt so young before There was so much life in me Still I longed to search for more But those days are gone now Changed like a leaf on a tree Blown away forever into the cool autumn breeze The snow has now fallen and my sun's not so bright I struggle to hold on with the last of my might In my den of inequity viciousness and subtlety struggle to ease the pain struggle to find the sane Ignorance surrounding me I've never been so filled with fear All my life's been drained from me The end is drawing near.... III. Carpe Diem 'Carpe diem, seize the day' I'll always remember The chill of November The news of the fall The sounds in the hall The clock on the wall ticking away 'Seize the Day' I heard him say Life will not always be this way Look around Hear the sounds Cherish your life while you're still around "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying; And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying." We can learn from the past But those days are gone We can hope for the future But there may not be one The words stuck in my mind alive from what I've learned I have to seize the day To home I returned Preparing for her flight I held with all my might Fearing my deepest fright She walked into the night She turned for one last look She looked me in the eye I said, 'I Love You...Good-bye' "It's the most awful thing you'll ever hear." "If you're lying to me..." "Oh, you dearly love her." "...just have to leave... all our lives." "Seize the day!" "Something happened. "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may." "She was killed." IV. The Darkest of Winters (Instrumental) V. Another World So far or so it seems All is lost with nothing fulfilled Off the pages and a T.V. screen Another world where nothing's true Tripping through the life fantastic Lose a step and never get up Left alone with a cold blank stare I feel like giving up I was blinded by a paradise Utopia high in the sky A dream that only drowned me Deep in sorrow, wondering why Oh come let us adore him Abuse and then ignore him No matter what, don't let him be Let's feed upon his misery Then string him up for all the world to see I'm sick of all you hypocrites holding me at bay And I don't need your sympathy to get me through the day Seasons change and so can I Hold on boy, No time to cry Untie these strings, I'm climbing down I won't let them push me away Oh come let us adore him Abuse and then ignore him No matter what, don't let him be Let's feed upon his misery Now it's time for them to deal with me VI. The Inevitable Summer (Instrumental) VII. The Crimson Sunset I'm much wiser now A lifetime of memories run through my head They taught me how for better or worse, alive or dead I realize there's no turning back Life goes on the offbeaten track I sit down with my son Set to see the Crimson Sunset (Gather ye rosebuds while ye may) Many years have come and gone I've lived my life, but now must move on (Gather ye rosebuds while ye may) He is my only one Now that my time has come Now that my life is done We look into the sun 'Seize the day and don't you cry, Now it's time to say good-bye Even though I'll be gone, I will live on, live on.'