|A Change of Seasons|
|EP by Dream Theater|
|Released||19 September 1995|
|Recorded||May 1995 at BearTracks Studios in Suffern, New York, and January 31, 1995, at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Producer||David Prater, Dream Theater|
|Dream Theater studio chronology|
A Change of Seasons is fourth EP by Dream Theater, and the first Dream Theater release featuring Derek Sherinian on keyboards. It comprises the 23-minute title track and a collection of bonus live covers performed at a fan club concert at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London.
The lyrics were written by Mike Portnoy about the death of his mother, Andrea Held Leone, who died in a tragic plane crash in November 1984, after the pilot suffered a heart attack.
- An edited version of the title track was used in a downhill skiing feature during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.
- Note that this is considered an EP only in name—at 57:31, it is much longer than a standard EP, or, indeed, many LPs. In fact, it is longer than Dream Theater's first two albums. Mike Portnoy has said "It was important for us and the label for it not to be perceived as the latest studio record. That's why we tagged it an EP."
- The title track includes samples from the film "Dead Poets Society", and from the Robert Herrick poem, "To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time".
- Mike Portnoy - Drums
- John Petrucci - Guitar
- John Myung - Bass
- James LaBrie - Vocals
- Derek Sherinian - Keyboards
- David Prater - Producer
1. A Change of Seasons (Portnoy) 23:09
- I. The Crimson Sunrise 3:50
- II. Innocence 3:04
- III. Carpe Diem 3:14
- IV. The Darkest of Winters 2:53
- V. Another World 3:58
- VI. The Inevitable Summer 3:13
- VII. The Crimson Sunset 2:54
2. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Bernie Taupin/Elton John) 10:49
3. Perfect Strangers (Ian Gillan/Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover) 5:33
4. The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains the Same (Robert Plant/Jimmy Page) 7:29
- The Rover
- Achilles Last Stand
- The Song Remains the Same
5. The Big Medley (Pink Floyd, Journey, Kansas, Queen, The Dixie Dregs, Genesis) 10:33
- In the Flesh? (Roger Waters) 2:25
- Carry on Wayward Son (Kerry Livgren) 2:10
- Bohemian Rapsody (Freddie Mercury) 1:25
- Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Steve Perry) 2:07
- Cruise Control (Steve Morse) 1:03
- Turn it on Again (Mike Rutherford/Rutherford, Tony Banks, Phil Collins) 1:23